October 5, 2009

End of an Era

Ah....I don't even really know what sentiments I want to portray. Am I happy? A bit reminiscent? Sad? Wistful? Nay, who is really ever wistful, I just always like to think I am. The word you're looking for when that adjective nearly escapes your lips is tired, you are tired. Stop trying to romantisize it. Thanks. (that's mostly for me, FYI). Mmhem, Anyway, back to the tale at hand. It is the end of a distinct tally in the timeline of my life. Things that I love are finding subtle ways of meandering, ever so gracefully and nonchalantly as could be imagined out of my life. My back pack has finally seen its last zip up (and zip down for that matter, the zippers are broken). T'will never hold my Chris Farley weighted load of books again. We've had some good times together. I realized recently that I have had the same back pack, book bag, papoose, or whatever name makes you feel most school-girl-ish, since I was in 6th grade. I have names on the back from when I let my peers write ever so contemplative quotes like, 'You da bomb!' and 'Ur a QT!' etc, etc. But, on the other hand, where one zipper closes another opens. I LOVE my new one. It has a pocket for positively everything even Survivor Man could possibly need. Costco, you've done it again. Renewed my faith in the ever ridiculed American Consumer Dream!


Next on the 'God Be With You Til We Meet Again' agenda is my beloved Farmer's Market. Yes, I have a slight obsession. It's an entire city park filled with crazy humans (mostly hippies, an obvious r.b. fave) celebrating funky crafts, local music, and best of all F.O.O.D. Fresh fruit, veggies and an overwhelming amount of tasty little tid bits to take your palette for a trip down flavors splash mountain. It's last week is this week and I'm feeling tons of euphoria. The salsa....how I'll miss that all-you-can-eat mango salsa.

(whitney and poncho at F.M. sorry it's fuzzy, taken from the mobile)
Next we have my new adventure of longboarding. My roomate Jo (god bless you J-dog), is a PHENOM longboarder. They go 'sliding' up at the stadium quite often and I want to be good at it SO bad it makes my innards queezy. I've been trying, but I'm just more dangerous than I am gutsy and more clutsy than coordinated. I know what you people who know me are thinking, 'bone-breaking-ballard should just simmer down.' don't fear, I wear a helmet. but with the weather getting more and more freezing by the milisecond, I fear my hopes of becoming the next lord of dogtown will have to wait till next season. But no fear, we have atleast a couple more weeks.
(me and jo)

(Jo and Andy) But, with everything getting freezing balls cold I must say I love SLC in the fall. Love it. Too bad the english language often lets us down for variety on emotions, so love is all I'm left with. SLC's general vibe was meant for the fall time. Too bad it's the best and shortest season, a good month, maybe, before hell, fire and damnation begin in the bitter form of freezing snow puffs. Anyway, it's so beautiful up here right now, and the smells, ah! the smells! Have you noticed that your memory is spiked so much by smells? I have noticed that my memory is particularly active in the fall time. It seems I'm constantly being swept up in moments the minute I step outside. A lot of times I can remember what it's reminding me of, but just as frequently the smell is just familiar....great, and familiar.

3 comments:

Kaspar said...

Dear old neighbor,
I love to read your blog. I love you. I love your expressive way of speaking. I miss you. I'm glad that you are happy. I'm glad that we still live pretty close. You're simply the best!
love, Your old neighbor

Kyle & Emily said...

quit copying my post titles

kylee said...

rachelle! ask me how much i love your blog. i love it a lot my dear. a lot.