March 10, 2010

Snot, tears, and yesteryear's tiny tots

Doesn't that title just summon you right on in? Wale, the thang is Tina, I'm sick... I don't think I love the idea of my immune system putting up the white flag and taking a water break. I mean I understand it works hard, but I just wish maybe it would find a substitute or an alternate when it decides to be MIA, I hope I don't sound too demanding. I hate that I sniffle constantly in class. I'm an infamous sniffle-hater. If I hear a sniffle within ear shot of my general location I immediately bust out my 'eyes of disgust,' very similar to Mr. Potato head's 'angry eyes.'
I am here again with zip photos to share with the good people, for this I apologize. I heard a statistic on the radio that said over 60 somethin percent of Americans don't know how to use their technological gadgets besides the very basics. I am here to say I stand at the top end of the 60 somethin. I would like a nice camera, but then again t'why? I wouldn't know how to optimize its many fascinating features, so as they say in A River Runs Through It, "No man who doesn't know how to fish should ever disgrace one by catching it." Or something distinctly similar to that, I may have butchered it. Anywho, we had to read this story in my journalism class and it was like having to watch Extreme Home Makeover in front of 30 skeptical, pretentious college searing eyes. It's extremely well written and it provokes emotion in such a non-cliche or annoying way. It follows a man in the military whose sole purpose is to go to the homes of fallen soldiers and inform their families. Have you ever even thought that is someone's job? Can you even fathom? I often think about random jobs, like the man who works in the crane near my home. What would it be like to hike the tower of babel every morning to clock in? Anyway, I'm sharing this piece of journalism with you because I love it and hereby want all of you to ruin your technological gadgets by bawling on them. The great equalizer!
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2005/nov/11/final-salute/
(sorry, don't really know how to make it so you can just click on it and go. Need I validate any further on the aforementioned technological war?).

OK! You kids, I sure did get ya, here's some pics I took pics of (so, these are pictures of pictures. Classy? Yes please). These just made me chuckle and reminisce and yet again, tear up. If you never knew Macintosh, the neighborhood candyman (before that sort of thing was creepy) then you missed out on an essential happiness provided by 60 east in H-town. Sweetest man ever who let me and Charmaine watch Gumbi all day and eat every Hostess product we could find in his humble cottage. And the pic of Mel just makes me chuckle every time, sums her up so well I think.

Do all you hurricane-ites remember these days? The homecoming parade days, before the dreadful days of the h-town/3-falls split we were all one, united in our adolescence. We would sit on the curb while the 'insanely cool' high schoolers would ride by on their fourwheelers and trucks. Ah, to be young and not know how horrendous my hair cut was....


mmm...who's that cute curly-haired favorite on his lap?

This pic makes me miss wet n' wild. DISCLAIMER: This photo was not taken at wet n wild. Prob quail lake, back when it was the shiz slash the only literal option.

9 comments:

Sara Soda said...

A few things of business:
1- I LOVED Mr. Macintosh! He was the best EVER. The gumballs he gave out were my very, very favorite. That and the jaw breakers. Mmm....
2- In that picture of the homecoming parade, I think Chelsea is reaching second base with you. Thought you should know.

Ty * April said...

Ahhh! I miss MacIntosh. I mowed his wretched lawns and he always brought me a lemonade in the middle of it.

Sorry you are sick. Why don't you just come home early and we can take care of you...or was it all the babies fault that you are that way? :)

Veronica said...

OMGOSH DO MY EYES DECIEVE ME? did shelly really live through the era of bad haircuts and cheesy smiles?? i love the post, and i laughed at the "i don't how to make so you can just click and go" oh dearest it took me awhile but i am atleast THAT updated. :) blogging tech party at my house foo shoo hahha

Summer Wilson said...

So you're the beast that got us all sick - devil!! Adam's been home the last few days with another cold, and ALL the kids have runny noses. Yet another reason to hate winter.

Camila said...

GAHAHAHAHAHAHA! WA-SHELLL! these pics are hilarious! what is it you're holding in the first one???
on the list of other people's blogs it should read: "veronica/camila Fuenzalida" Not "Veronica/camilla Fuenzilida... (or something like that)
just thought you ought to know :) hee hee

kolobflyfishing said...

I'd kill for Abby's shirt in the lake picture, btw I was also more tan than all of you suckers what happened with that. I get reminiscent and emotional when I'm sick to. Get better you big flaming lesbian.

l a u r e n said...

Ha ha, I just read Sara's comment and she it TOTALLY on second base. Good call Sara. But the reason for my comment: you're hilarious! i love the randomness of your blogging. :)

Chelsea said...

hahahaha dang. second base. i thought no one would notice. I thought i was being quite subtle with you shell. Don't worry...I'll be more discrete next time;)

Heidi said...

Such cute pictures. Brings back such fun memories.